Strategy Working Group – Conference Call 2/22/20
Participating: Lisa Hastings, Fareed Abdullah, Judy Morgan
Backgrounds: We shared a bit about our backgrounds
Daniel Hunter’s pamphlet Climate Resistance Handbook: We discussed a couple of points…
- Idea of building long-term capacity of people who are energized for change and share a common vision of how to get there
- Need to connect with what people are experiencing as their own urgent needs and start from there
- Pillars of support – need to look at what is holding the system in place and address how to weaken those pillars. Lisa noted example of unions supporting fossil fuel industry.
Agreements: We reached two agreements
- The short list needs to emphasize that it is pro-jobs and pro-economic growth, because that is what most people see as important…and secondarily, pro-clean-air to reduce asthma and other health problems.
- We need to focus on the positive as much as possible – what is it that we want to create? (If it’s perceived as simply opposing fossil fuels, people will be uncertain of what the alternative is.)
Expanding group: Fareed will check to see if he can invite one or two other people to next call.
Next meeting: The next meeting of Strategy Team will be by conference call 9:30 am, Saturday, 2/29/20.